Monday, March 14, 2016

Is Jesus Christ Our Savior?

Jesus Christ

About one and one-half years ago, I took a tour through the Mormon temple in Phoenix, Arizona just before it was dedicated to the Lord. Some of the nonmembers that took this same tour were surprised to find pictures of Jesus Christ all over the walls of the temple. Some of these people thought that we worshipped Joseph Smith or something like that. That is not true. God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ are who members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (often nicknamed the Mormon church because of the Book of Mormon) worship.

In one of my previous blog posts titled "Is There a God and Why Does it Matter?" it was shown that God exists. God is our loving Heavenly Father. This Easter season, I hope that we will learn more about and remember one of God's greatest expressions of love:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).

God's only begotten Son is Jesus Christ. The most fundamental tenet of Christianity is the belief that Jesus Christ suffered, bled, died, and was resurrected for us. I have learned for myself that Jesus suffered "pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and...[took] upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people" (Alma 7:11) in the Garden of Gethsemane. He later said that this "suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit--and would that I might not drink the bitter cup, and shrink" (D&C 19:18). Then, "he was lifted up upon the cross and slain for the sins of the world" (1 Nephi 11:33). God sent Him into the world to do so, and Jesus willingly suffered and died because of His great love for us. "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13).

Because of this selfless act, we can be forgiven of our sins, be spiritually cleansed and improved, and live again after this life in the presence of God. In remembrance of Christ's sacrifice of His body and His blood, many Christian religions, including the Mormons, offer up their sacraments by partaking of bread and water that has been blessed by priests. Every Sunday, I go to church and offer up my sacraments. As I do so, I try to visualize Jesus Christ suffering and dying for me. In these moments, I can feel the Holy Spirit confirm to me that the Lord Jesus is my Savior from sin, sorrow, and death.

Christus


I felt similar feelings last Easter when I viewed a beautiful life-sized statue of Jesus at an LDS temple visitor's center in Mesa, Arizona. I was overpowered with emotion as I saw the spear wound in his side and the nail prints in His hands and feet. I could feel Christ's incomprehensible love for me. I have also had many spiritual experiences that are too sacred to write here that have allowed me to know with absolute certainty that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and my Savior. If I were to deny this, I would deny the very power of God and would be denied entrance into the kingdom of heaven. I cannot utter such a lie.

I know that each of you can also come to know that Jesus is your Savior. Learn of Him. Live like Him. Earnestly ask God for understanding and faith. Answers will come. They may not come immediately or in the way that we think they should have come, but I am certain that they will come. You will grow firm in your testimony of Christ as you yield your heart to Him. You can learn more at https://www.mormon.org/beliefs/jesus-christ

My favorite hymn expresses my feelings for Him:
1.I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me,
Confused at the grace that so fully he proffers me.
I tremble to know that for me he was crucified,
That for me, a sinner, he suffered, he bled and died.
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!
2.I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mine,
That he should extend his great love unto such as I,
Sufficient to own, to redeem, and to justify.
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!
3.I think of his hands pierced and bleeding to pay the debt!
Such mercy, such love and devotion can I forget?
No, no, I will praise and adore at the mercy seat,
Until at the glorified throne I kneel at his feet.
Oh, it is wonderful that he should care for me
Enough to die for me!
Oh, it is wonderful, wonderful to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment